Thursday, May 6, 2010

Young Data: Fiber

click to see your future

Last Thursday I put up information about my carbohydrate intake. This week I'm going to put up some data on my fiber intake on the ongoing metrics involving the composition of my diet.

I guess that I should take some time to provide some context. How much fiber should I get?
The amount you need is tied to the number of calories you eat in a day. For healthy adults, the USDA recommends 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories consumed. So a person eating 2,000 calories a day should aim to get 28 grams of fiber daily.
This means that my 1937 Cal diet needs 27 grams of fiber. If you look at my chart, you'll see a very odd day in there. Honestly, I can't explain it. What did I eat that day that was so high in fiber? If I take out the highest and lowest values, I'm getting an average of 37.76 grams of fiber daily. Not bad says I. Fiber helps keep you "regular" (or in my case: Spectacular), but it also helps flush fats and lipids from your body. I find that on days where my fiber is high, most other numbers are in their desired ranges as well.

No comments: